Thursday, April 5, 2007

Zurich

From the Zurich main station I walked to a few different hotels before deciding on Hotel Kindli and got it for 165 Swiss francs per night because everything will be closed tomorrow through Sunday for the Easter holiday. Apparently, Easter is big 4-day affair in Switzerland and other parts of Europe. The hotel is right near two of the churches and Lake Zurich, and there's a park with a great view of everything a half block down the road.

After I got settled in, I made a to do list of rest, email, postcards, food, and museums, then went out and found the Sprungli chocolate store and cafe. Across the street, I had to buy fifteen postcards to cover the minimum purchase at a knife store that carried Swiss army knives, refrigerator magnets, and other knicknacks. Afterwards, I walked to Fraumünster and saw the stained glass by Marc Chagall. There is more lovely stained glass by Augusto Giacometti in Grossmünster which I also saw, but I skipped the tower tour. Afterwards, I went to Kunsthaus Zürich and saw Alberto Giacometti sculptures, an excellent Rodin exhibit and the permanent collection which consisted of some modern artists and many Swiss artists. Outside the museum, I also took in the Henry Moore sculpture along with Rodin's Gates of Hell.

Then I went to Restaurant Zeughauskeller and had the Wurst of the Month, the Basserdorfer Landwurst. It came with a kind of zesty potato salad and I ordered a lemony iced tea along with it. I was starving, and it was a great meal. They brought large rolls and good mustard with horseradish in it. After that, I sat in the restaurant and wrote postcards. For dessert, I walked across the street to the Sprungli cafe where they were about to close up for the four day Easter holiday. After one "sorry", the waitress felt bad for me and let me have one grosse tasseshokolade at the bar. I was so excited, I burned my mouth a bit as I started writing a postcard card to S---, without whose recommendation, I might never have gone to Zurich. Afterwards, it was back home to the hotel and a hot shower.

No comments: