Monday, April 9, 2007

Zurich

After four hours of sleep, I had breakfast around 8:30 and talked with the sweet buffet server. She is from Vietnam and studying hotel management. Her parents have owned several businesses.

After that, I went to the train station and bought a reservation to Milano which is about halfway to Venice. For some reason the person at the train station ticket counter couldn't get me one straight through to Venice. We'll see if I get stuck in Milan tomorrow at 11AM.

In the first part of the day, I walked along the north side of Zürichsee to the Le Corbusier building which I found interesting. Afterwards, I took a nap and then took another walking tour from the guidebook that went along a canal. The canal walk was so-so. More places are closed today, notably Sprungli, so I won't be able to get one more ho-cho before I leave.

Last night as I was trying to sleep, I started to get discouraged and then remembered that I'm not doing this because it is easy, but because it is hard, like JFK said in his moon speech. Granted, I'm not traveling 250,000 miles or spending billions, but I am pretty far from home.

This morning, I got cleaned up, packed, and said goodbye to the model-like concierge/assistant manager--blond hair, blue eyes, sweet expressions when showing concern for my cold symptoms, just beautiful. Fortunately, I resisted the urge to try to make it anything other than a friendly conversation. I shook her hand and thanked her rather than asking for her email address which would have been odd and pointless.

Before bed, I had chamomile tea while sitting in the park overlooking the Zürichsee. It was a relaxing enjoyable way to end my stay in Zurich. As I walked back to the hotel, the last of the 7PM chimes were finishing from the churches nearby. Easter weekend was over.

No comments: