Saturday, April 7, 2007

Zurich

I woke up at a normal hour today and felt a bit better, so I repeated yesterday's breakfast but added an extra egg. Afterwards, I sat around feeling kind of bad, then I showered and decided to blow off Geneva and extend my stay in Zurich for two days before I leave for Venice. I needed to take it easy but didn't want to waste a day, so I took a train out to Uetliberg which was west of town about 60km.

Once at Uetliberg, I followed a little bit of the Planet Walk starting at the sun, but I only got as far as the earth since I was on the way up to the Top of Zurich. I walked up the trail and then climbed the lookout tower for a nice view of Zurich and the surrounding area. On the way back down, I started south on a little hike, but I was too worn out from being sick, so I headed back via the S10 train to Zurich Hbf.

On the way back to the hotel, I went over to Jelmoli department store and checked out the below ground food court. Although it looked great with a nice selection of cheese, wine, prepared foods, meat, and fish, I decided to use the day pass I bought for the Uetliberg train to take the #31 bus/tram to Neumarkt. At Kantorei, not far from the Kunsthaus, I had the veggie special--white asparagus with hollandaise and new potatoes. It was pretty good.

A cute little girl was running around the fountain and making funny faces at me. I copied her and made her laugh. Her name is S---. I know because she kept running around the fountain, shaking the umbrella near my table and talking to her parents who sat next to me. It's 6 PM now, and not everything is closed for Easter as I worried it might be.

No comments: