Friday, April 13, 2007

Venice

I enjoyed the peaceful, early morning canal view with my coffee one last time. They served a very nice salad this morning of tomatoes with basil. Afterwards, I walked over to San Marco just to sit in Caffee Florian and write my cousin a postcard, but I was unable to conjure the spirits of Henry James or Lord Byron.

Then, I mailed the postcards and said goodbye to F--- and B--- at the Locanda Orseolo while I was in the neighborhood, and thanked M--- when I checked out of the Al Ponte Antico. It was a good visit.

I think mornings are best here. Everyone else gets a late start, so the streets are empty and the temperature is perfect in April--about 65 with a breeze and that mist that softens the buildings in the distance. Tiepolo got the sky right--powder blue with wisps of almost-clouds (but not quite) above.

I caught the #82 ferrovia from Rialto to P.le Roma which was perfect. The #1 is packed and makes all the stops. The #82 goes directly from Rialto to the train station and P.le Roma without all the stopping and passenger shuffling. We had a nice easy cruise back up the canal to end my stay here in Venice.

The Minoan Lines courtesy van came and I almost missed it because the big logo said BUSCELLI, and a much smaller one said Minoan Lines. Other cabbies helped me spot it though, and I made it here to the ferry terminal. I checked in and noticed lots of cars, trucks, and construction and transport vehicles waiting for the ferry. Yesterday the dock was totally empty because there was no ferry that day. It makes sense, but it's a surprising contrast. My Eurail pass got me free deck passage and although the fresh air and shade under the lifeboats here on deck is perfect, I may get a room so I can try to sleep. I'm not sure though since it's only a 22-our voyage to Igoumenitsa. We'll see.

No comments: