Saturday, April 21, 2007

Iznik to Efesus

I slept well in the quiet tile hotel in Iznik, but I didn't realize breakfast was included, so I ate sausage, hazelnuts, and turkish delight in my room before packing and coming downstairs to a very nice breakfast area. I couldn't resist, so I sat down and ate again. The bread and jam were delicious, and I had the best turkish coffee yet. I got overfull and then left to catch a bus to Selcuk. The bus dispatcher laughed when I offered Euros and said "Ho, ho, ho....Euuurrrrros!" as if he wasn't sure whether or not to take them. His savvy business partner knew a more stable currency when he saw it and immediately took my money, so I took his little bus in Iznik to a huge new Mercedes bus in the Bursa otogar which got me to Selcuk via Izmir (Smyrna).

In the evening, I walked around Selcuk looking for a hotel and found comfy Hotel Nilya where I dropped my bags and copied an interesting pattern from the minaret of a pre-ottoman mosque nearby [Isabey Mosque]. While walking to dinner, I saw part of another fistfight between a shoeshine boy and another kid roughly the same age. Fortunately, an older guy broke it up. It was right outside a bar.

No comments: